forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Bolger <pbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: vague issues with Forrest use
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:41:23 GMT
> >> - A simple, intuitive way for non-XMLers to add things to site.xml
> >

> > Have you any suggestions about what this may look like?

Not sure how technically possible this is, but how about a directory
parser which builds the site nav? In other words the user would create
a directory structure, arrange their source files where they want them
to appear in the site map, and the parser would build the site
structure in site.xml as a mirror of that directory structure.
I realise that this would sacrifice flexibility, but I think a lot of
users would use a 'quick and dirty' site design method (particularly
one where rejigging the site structure would be as simple as moving
the source files).

> No, unfortunately I haven't thought too hard on it and I have limited
> coding skills to even know what can be done.  I just know that as soon
> as I try to explain to coworkers how I add things their eyes sort of
> glaze and they wander off to do something else.
>

> > Have you taken a look at the Eclipse plugin? This is a (very early
> > development) of a GUI application for editing of things like site.xml.
> > It works, but is a long way from perfect.

Personally I don't like Eclipse much, takes ages to start, always
seems to be missing some plugin which takes half a day to locate,
slow. Would a Jedit plugin be possible? I use Jedit a lot as an HTML
editor -  largely because it has some great helper plugins like Xilize
- and it works fine even on my slowest machine.