forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fixing a Howto
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:44:32 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

>> It's not actually what I was looking for (Which was a mechanism of
>> logging the way of requests through a sitemap as a way of debugging
>> them; would have been very useful for my current html-problem).

> I think the profiler does that - I've never played with it but David and
> Ron have done some work with it.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I'll try and figure out how to run that to
follow my html-processing.

>> I looked at it anyway and briefly wondered why the documentation
>> happens in SGML-comments rather then xml-elements with their own
>> namespace.

> I guess it will be because you might use it to document other file types
> where namespaces are meaningless, but comments are available everywhere.

That does make sense and it doesn't. If your implementing it for
different languages you'd have to have different parsers to accommodate
for different comment syntax anyway, so why not use one for xml-type
documents that is standard in their world.

But I realize that that's off topic and beyond the point ...

>> Apart from that I see not much progress from using DOCTOR (except that
>> we should of course use the documentation structure that this
>> requires) because we don't have much documentation in our sitemaps
>> right now.

> OK

>> And once that documentation is added, that would be easy enough to
>> read w/o having to extract it into html-documents. So I'd consider
>> that stuff nice to have but nothing to put much effort into.

> Fair enough. Thanks.

That said I'm very much in favour of adding documentation there (the
documentation of the html-pipeline should really be the only extensive
document of that kind) and will do so where I come across useful
pieces of info.

--
Ferdinand Soethe