forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] Views v2 codename: (views-) structurer
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:32:52 GMT
On 10/14/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> El vie, 14-10-2005 a las 11:53 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > IMO the best name would be "dispatcher view". That is exactly what views
> > > (v1 and v2) is. ;-)
> > >
> > > ...but we wanted to rename them because the term view was causing
> > > confusions (cocoon-views, eclipse-view, ...).
> > >
> > > That is the reason I have chosen the name even if that is not perfect
> > > either.
> >
> > Then "dispatcher" is the name for the whole thing.
> > I have started using that term in the documentation.
>
> +1
>
> that is good stuff.
>
> The forrest dispatcher is based on a structurer and a themer.
>
> Views (codename) = dispatcher (release name)
>
> Views v1 (stable) codename: v1
> Views v2 (testing) codename: v2
>
> salu2
> --
> thorsten

I think dispatcher sounds like a cool name for developers.  I don't
think it will resonate with end users. The old "skins" was well known
in what one might expect from it.  The new "views" could also be
understood although confusion came in on the technical side with them.
 This "dispatcher" tells me nothing about what exactly it does and my
contention is that we've got a high enough learning curve being based
on Cocoon without introducing naming complexities.  I don't think
we're doing much for our users by choosing such a name, but I'm only
-0 on it.