forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Not adding new properties (Re: [Structurer] custom templates are not found any more...)
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:41:06 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> As well we have a new property:
> project.theme-dir=${project.resources-dir}/themes

This is not a comment directly about this new property, but it is this
new one (and the many others introduced recently) that prompts this mail.

Issue for-588 [1] is about creating a new config system. It has been
proposed (although not agreed - nor objected to) that we use the
locationmap.xml for configuration [2]. Adding more configuration options
now only makes this move more difficult in the long term.

Furthermore, since these particular properties are nothing to do with
core, but are for plugins they shouldn't really be in
forrest.properties. Now that Tim has enabled plugin provided
locationmaps we can use the locationmap for plugin configuration. So the
above property would become:

<match pattern="project.theme-dir">
   <location src="${project.resources-dir}/themes">
</match>

(of course we could have a list of potential values too if we use the
select element)

Its use would become:

lm:project.themes-dir

I have been using this approach in the projectInfo plugin and it works
well. But we need wider use cases to fully test this out.

Perhaps the structurer plugin is one place we can do more such
experiments to try and spot the potential issues.

Ross

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-588
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112827771411900&w=2