forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Brakkee <e...@brakkee.org>
Subject Re: Include mechanism for forrest...
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:45:10 GMT
Hi Ross,

Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> We have a policy to only include new elements to the DTD that
>>> are in line with XHTML2.
>>

> One of the reasons for moving to XHTML2 is that it is extensible
> through its modules, somewhat similar to what Erik was describing in
> this post.
>
> Erik, if you can develop your extension ideas in line with the
> extension mechanisms in XHTML2 I think you will find us much more
> welcoming of your ideas ;-)

Ok, I will have a look at XHTML2 and start figuring out how to implement
the feature. Right now, I am developing and maintaining a custom
extension for Forrest 0.7, and would like to have a more definitive
solution that is not only maintained by me.

>> Perhaps the extension mechanism I outlined above would be useful as
>> an extension mechanism for documents.
>

> Yes, but only if we can make it fit within the XHTML2 extension
> mechanism. Note that using a plugin in Forrest and a module in the
> schema should address the concerns you raise with respect to source
> resolution (i.e. the plugin extends the sitemap to deal with the new
> schemas).

I will also have a look at the plugin mechanism in Forrest. It should be
relatively easy to do since I already know many of the problems that I
will encounter.

Cheers
  Erik