forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Switchable views (was Re: Views (v1) - a user attempt)
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:51:59 GMT
Kevin wrote:
> Thought I'd post my work in progress in trying to do switchable
> alternate css stylesheets. I call it theme switching though not
> sure if that is the correct terminology.

You got the correct terminology and your demo is cool (although I have
to say I don't like the choice of colours in the themes ;-)).

Of course, you can do much more than just change the colours. It would
be cool to see a demo that did more drastic changes. Say move the
navigation to the right side. Remove the last published timestamps, that
kind of thing.

As a dev though, I can see that what you have done will make this work.

I think this should go into a seed site for views, this is an important
improvement.

> While doing this it reminded me of the old skinconf with defined
> colors that were used as parameters to an xslt to create one
> css file. It got me thinking that Forrest could generate alternate
> css files then perhaps have a contract that would emulate the
> <forrest:css ...> tag in view files and insert all the required
> alternate css files. Perhaps even part of something like the
> publishedstrip contract to add the links to click to switch the
> themes rather than what I have done in site.xml at the moment.

This sounds like a good idea, in theory. Lets see what Thorsten says
regarding his plans for skin configuration (now themes). I know he has
given this some thought, but not sure if there are any concrete plans yet.

> Anyone with a slow dial up? Do you see an unacceptable problem
> if pages aren't cached after choosing another theme other than
> the default 'dull' theme?

This doesn't affect me personally. However, I doubt it would be a
problem since users will typically select a theme they like and stick
with it.

> http://www.kegcl.demon.co.uk/forrest/index.html

[OT] are you based in the UK? If so where?

Ross