forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Brakkee <e...@brakkee.org>
Subject Re: Include mechanism for forrest...
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:35:31 GMT
Hi,

David Crossley wrote:

>It seems to me that this proposal is missing the
>abilities of the Cocoon sitemap and is just treating
>Cocoon as an xml processor.

The include mechanism is using the features of the sitemap. It is
nothing more than a layer to make xincludes in Forrest more usable.

Right now, since the mechanism  is implemented on top of forrest and not
inside of forrest, there is some duplication of work so that
new schemes added to the site map would also have to be added to the
include mechanism. Nevertheless, that would not be necessary if it is
implemented inside Forrest.

>Also Cocoon will cache the results of each pipeline, so if
>the xincluded file changes, then the changes will have
>no effect.

I don't understand what you mean here. When the included files changes,
the changes definitely come through. Besides, if this problem would
exist with this mechanism, then it would also exist with the xinclude
mechanism which is already inside forrest.

>-David

Perhaps it would be good if any of you tried it out and had a closer
look to see how it actuall works. A good starting point is to do a
'forrest seed' and then to simply copy the files that are available for
download.

Cheers
  Erik