forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Faciliatating profile use (Re: Fixing a Howto)
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:56:14 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>>David, I am afraid to say I have not checked this out yet. Despite
>>>noting its existence and the effort you put into this (and the docs).
>>
>>>Can I make a suggestion? (I'll do this the first time I find the need to
>>>use this if it hasn't been done before me):
>>
>>>If we make an internal plugin of the profiler we can replace the
>>>necessary pipelines in that plugin. Then, to enable profiling all we
>>>need to do is add the plugin to forrest.properties.
>>
>>I am about to start working on a plugin.  Actually, I thought I
>>could start last weekend, but didn't quite make it.
>>
>>Most things are straightforward.  I'm only puzzled by the mix of input
>>plugin (ie, take data from the profiler data store and render it) and
>>internal plugin (ie, profile stuff and store results in profiler data
>>store).  Can a plugin be both, input and internal?
>>Second, the profiler result page must be rendered last, or it wouldn't
>>contain all profile results.  Don't know how to do this, yet.
>

> I find that the Cocoon Profiler is useful to look at the
> processing for a single page, i.e. forrest clean, forrest run,
> request index.html a few times, then look at cprofile.html
> and follow the results. Doing it for the whole of 'forrest site'
> might be useful in a different way - don't know yet.

Ron and I talked about this on IRC (see logs). I suggested making the
profiler block a dobule purpose block - profiling and testing. Ron
pointed me to your past discussions regarding benchmarking.

After discussion it became apparrent that making ait a test block as
well was not a good idea (tests change often, profling/benchmarking need
  stable content to work on).

To profile Forrest effectively we need to profile all paths through the
pipelines. To benchmark we need to do it a number of times.

I think that having benchmark sites that has pages designed to test
various paths (perhaps plugins can provide additional benchmark pages in
the future) is a very good idea. We could run Forrest on these sites,
say 1000 times. This would give us a reasonable indication (given
consistent server spec) of whether a new release is performing well or not.

Of course, profiling individual pages is useful for testing individual
edits. This would still be useful in the way you describe.

STATUS
------

Ron has the skeleton together, but has hit a problem. The internal.xmap
needs to redefine the <map:pipe> elements, which can't be done - or so
we thought on IRC. But I never thought to ask Ron if he had "just tried
it". ROn, if you didn't try it please do, I remember reading that blocks
can now define their own component specifications, perhaps it will work
for mounted sitemaps too.

Ron is exploring this with Cocoon folk.

Ross