forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Faciliatating profile use (Re: Fixing a Howto)
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:24:16 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

>>>I think the profiler does that - I've never played with it but David and
>>>Ron have done some work with it.
>>
>>Hmmm. That's interesting. I'll try and figure out how to run that to
>>follow my html-processing.
>

> There is various discussion in the mail archives.
> Most of it arises due to investigating
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-572
>
> A while ago i documented how to use it here:
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-dev.html#debug
>
> It was praised here:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112650986400002
> Re: Using the Cocoon sitemap profiler
>
> If you have any observations to add, then please
> add to that thread or the xdoc.
>
> I cannot suitably stress how useful it is as a
> development tool.

David, I am afraid to say I have not checked this out yet. Despite
noting its existence and the effort you put into this (and the docs).

Can I make a suggestion? (I'll do this the first time I find the need to
use this if it hasn't been done before me):

If we make an internal plugin of the profiler we can replace the
necessary pipelines in that plugin. Then, to enable profiling all we
need to do is add the plugin to forrest.properties.

We could later enhance this by adding a command line switch to run with
the profiler enabled.

In addition to making it easier to run the profiler, it will also keep
the sitemaps a little more tidy.

Ross