forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: collaborative editing tools (Was: svn commit: r293179)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 05:26:22 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> I think real time collaborative editors are complementary to Lenya et al. The
> "real time" part is what is important. In Lenya, I can't see in real time
> what others are doing with the document.
>
> In my head, Gobby and such are only meant for short, highly focused
> interactions and not much more than that. So if people have ideas for some
> document, they can write it up on Gobby and publish as usual through Lenya.
> Further edits etc would also go through Lenya.

+1

Lenya is asynchronous, Gobby is synchronous.

Gobby is great for "pair programming" (which includes documentation).

Another example of its use we discussed is addressing something like the
refactoring of sitemaps to use the locationmap. Imagine a Forrest
Tuesday with three people online, one xmap file each, shared loationmap
file.

Ross