forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: collaborative editing tools (Was: svn commit: r293179)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 05:23:44 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>>Author: rgardler
>>>Date: Sun Oct  2 15:19:26 2005
>>>New Revision: 293179

>>>Log:
>>>howto on collaborative editing, written collaboratively by Addi, Diwaker
>>>and Ross)
>>>
>>>Added:
>>>   forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_80/howto/howto-collaborativeEditing.html
  (with props)

>>I've not linked this in to the site yet because the text talks about
>>using it for ForrestTuesdays and we can't do that until it can be
>>installed on Macs easily (site says it is in the pipeline)
>>
>>We'll give a more complete summary of our impressions some other time
>>(I'm going to bed now). For the curious this document will tell you what
>>you need to know.
>>
>>In short, it was great and I think could be really useful.
>

> How does our plan for a Lenya instance fit with
> this collaborative editing exploration?

Lenya is not real-time collaborative. It serves a different purpose to
Gobby et. al.

> We should also explore other tools. I got a bit worried
> that we rushed to a certain software.

We rushed to test, we have not rushed to adopt ;-)

> A quick Google found me this for example ...
> http://www.inkscape.org/

The document has a section for alternatives, we should add real
alternatives there.

However, I do not believe inkscape is an alternative. It is an XVG
drawing package, as far as I can tell it does not allow multiple people
to work on the same document at the same time.

> We could create a howto for each tool:
> Lenya, SubEthaEdit, Gobby, InkScape.

I agree we should examine alternatives, but the only one in this list
that is an alternative is SubEthaEdit, unfortunately that is Mac only
(is it not?). Gobby is cross platform, although too dificult to install
on Mac at this time (work in progress).

As Diwaker says in another mail in this thread. Gobby is great for a
very focussed problem. For example, writing documentation (it is amazing
how fast that howto came together with the three of us working on it). I
think it's real strength will be in documenting our ForrestTuesday
sessions. It was great to agree on something in the chat area then see
someone jump in and documennt that in the document.

(are we having a Forrest Tuesday tomorrow? I just realised the date, I'm
up for it and will be around from around 2pm BST and an hour or so in
the morning - focus could be a bug fix drive, everyone who logs in tries
to fix an issue or two, or at least evaluate what needs to be done. I'm
out all day today, so i'll go with wnything that is decided, then please
set up the IRC channel anyway and I'll sit in there when I can working
on bugs).

Ross