forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: locationmaps not working?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:22:22 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> On Sunday 02 October 2005 3:46 am, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Cool. Does this mean the issue you raised earlier in this thread about
>>the LM verifying the existence of a file is not critical?
>>
>>I think you had a valid point about this when using the LM to rewrite
>>links, but I'm not sure if this was all one of the strange effects you
>>were getting.
>

> This issue still exists (try changing burrokeet.org to foobar.com or some
> random name in samples/locationmap/index.xml and see what happens). I
> certainly think its critical (and I think an implementation that does _not_
> do this check would be simpler). What do other people think about it?

There are two distinct uses of the locationmap. One is for URL rewriting
(like you are doing). In this instance I think you have a good case for
not doing the check for existence, at least during development. However,
  at publication time I think this is a valid check as it will highlight
broken links.

The other use of the LM is where we use it to resolve the location of a
source file, as in the sitemap stuff. I this instance the check has to
be made, otherwise a meaningless error is given (null pointer).

One solution would be to add an attribute to the locator node that
allows us to set whether we should check for existence. This could have
three values: "always", "never" or "publication". The last option would
allow us (with the addition of a new CLI parameter) to check that the
file exists when we try and publish the site, but would allow us to
ignore errors during development.

I don't have the time to implement this yet. If this proposal would
solve your problem then please add it to the issue tracker (along with
any other alternatives you can think of).

Ross