forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject speeding up the static build (Was: Roadmap for v2)
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:32:16 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> Which shows I think I mentioned before the only downside to static site
> generation.
> To make that one correction and add one word to the index.xml file meant I
> had
> to rebuild the entire site again with 'forrest site' and then re-upload. I
> chose to
> override my editors complaints that all files had been changed and do I
> really want
> to upload the entire site again - no, just index.* please !

What do you mean by "editors complaints"?
Are you using an editor to do the upload to
your website? That is not Forrest's fault then.

For the project website we use Subversion to store
the generated content. In that way only the changed
files get uploaded. We use forrestbot too of course.

You could use 'scp' to specifically copy certain files.

Someone suggested forrestbot by ftp too.

Sure, we know that there are ways to speed the site
build process. Cocoon CLI checksums. There is probably
a Jira issue registered for that.

There is a trick that can cut down your turnaround time
with building. In forrest.properties ...

# The URL to start crawling from
#project.start-uri=linkmap.html

Uncomment that and set it to the specific page that
you want. That will build that page, then of course
it will keep crawling links from there. It may be
confined to a sub-directory, but depending on links
could end up generating the whole site.

The main thing is that your page of interest is built
first.

-David