forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Static site updating of xml files
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:45:51 GMT
On Monday 17 October 2005 7:00 am, Gav.... wrote:
> 1. Whenever a change is made to an xml file, for instance index.xml, I >
again do > a 'forrest site' and upload the updated files. Now, all I have
done is > made > minor changes to index.xml and not added/subtracted any
links at all, > but > because of timestamping of files etc I find that my
editor wants me to > upload all files, inlcuding images, because they have
changed. If, in > the > future I make only minor changes to an .xml file, is
there a better > way to > update this to produce the static .html
equivelant ? >

This is a known problem, and while there are some discussions on how to
approach it, there is no good solution yet. Its late here so I'm lazy to dig
around in the archives, but if you google, you'll find:

o there have been some discussions on using Cocoon's checksum support to only
build changed file

o forrestbot has a FTP deploy target which supports uploading only files which
differ in content than the uploaded ones. However, since the "Time published"
string probably gets rewritten with different values, this is unlikely to
help much with generated documents. But it should certainly avoid uploading
the image files.

--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net
On Apache: http://people.apache.org/~diwaker