forrest-dev mailing list archives

From addi <a...@rocktreesky.com>
Subject Re: collaborative editing tools (Was: svn commit: r293179)
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 00:45:34 GMT
On Monday October 03 2005 3:51 pm, Ross Gardler wrote:
> addi@rocktreesky.com wrote:
> > Quoting David Crossley <crossley@apache.org>:

> > I have Inkscape .42 and it is a great little SVG program but as far as I
> > can
> > tell, you can't use it to edit the kind of text files we are working
> > with - at
> > least I can't open a .xml file in it.  If I'm wrong about that, Inkboard
> > will
> > be in .43 which is in hard freeze and due to be released soon.  Again
> > though,
> > the demo only showed WYSIWYG editing of SVG files.
>
> Yes, that is the mistake I made. I'm an Inkscape user and didn't realise
> that David had found a reference saying that they planned to add
> collaborative editing. I'm still to check this out.

Yes, that is the Inkboard I refered to, but it is a collaborative GUI *SVG*
editor from what I can see so far.  I haven't found anything about additional
text editing capabilities in any of the documentation or mail lists.  As far
as I know Inkscape only allows editing of SVG files, so unless it is an
additional feature of the Inkboard code I don't think we will be able to open
and work with regular xml files in it.

> Inkscape is a cool tool, collaborative editing with it would be killer.

I agree and this is definitely something to keep an eye on but I don't think
it is going to be a code editor like we need.  Also, for those who are
interested the Inkboard component uses Jabber for the sessions so you will
need a Jabber account to use it.

- Addi