forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject collaborative editing tools (Was: svn commit: r293179)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:42:50 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> >Author: rgardler
> >Date: Sun Oct  2 15:19:26 2005
> >New Revision: 293179

> >Log:
> >howto on collaborative editing, written collaboratively by Addi, Diwaker
> >and Ross)
> >
> >Added:
> >    forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/docs_0_80/howto/howto-collaborativeEditing.html
  (with props)

> I've not linked this in to the site yet because the text talks about
> using it for ForrestTuesdays and we can't do that until it can be
> installed on Macs easily (site says it is in the pipeline)
>
> We'll give a more complete summary of our impressions some other time
> (I'm going to bed now). For the curious this document will tell you what
> you need to know.
>
> In short, it was great and I think could be really useful.

How does our plan for a Lenya instance fit with
this collaborative editing exploration?

We should also explore other tools. I got a bit worried
that we rushed to a certain software.

A quick Google found me this for example ...
http://www.inkscape.org/

The thing that attracted Google attention was
the press release at openclipart.org that mentioned
"picking up the development of Inkboard (http://inkboard.sf.net/)
to integrate networked collaborative editing of documents to Inkscape".
It was a GSoC addition so would be base work.

We could create a howto for each tool:
Lenya, SubEthaEdit, Gobby, InkScape.

-David