forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning up html-processing
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 06:42:55 GMT

Hi Kevin,

thanks for taking the time to explain.
Re-reading a forth time I now understand that with

> I think should be:
>
>  <xsl:when test="not(@class)">

you actually suggested part of the fix that David later committed.
I'm sorry. I just saw 'not' and your explanations below and concluded
that you wanted to turn around my conditions. Should have looked at
the code a little closer.

> is not needed as the original version worked fine. I wasn't
> suggesting any new approach.

Well in that point I still disagree. In order for the old version
below to work ok you have to overwrite _all_ the attributes that are set
or you'll end up with some attributes remaining unchanged.

> <xsl:template match="table">
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="@id"/>

>           <xsl:copy-of select="@cellspacing | @cellpadding |
> @border | @class | @bgcolor |@id"/>
>           <xsl:apply-templates/>

My goal however was to provide a clean alternative for css-formatting
and that meant I wanted _no_ spacing and padding attributes in the
html-code.

So I still believe that the new solution is cleaner and better than
the old code.

> so now what worked is partly redundant. Sorry I can't explain,
> I'm doubting myself now.

If I once again missed something, let me know.

--
Ferdinand Soethe