forrest-dev mailing list archives

From rgardler_apa...@saafe.org
Subject Re: collaborative editing tools (Was: svn commit: r293179)
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:45:27 GMT
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>> >
>> >We should also explore other tools. I got a bit worried
>> >that we rushed to a certain software.
>>
>> We rushed to test, we have not rushed to adopt ;-)
>>
>> >A quick Google found me this for example ...
>> >http://www.inkscape.org/
>>
>> The document has a section for alternatives, we should add real
>> alternatives there.
>>
>> However, I do not believe inkscape is an alternative. It is an XVG
>> drawing package, as far as I can tell it does not allow multiple people
>> to work on the same document at the same time.
>
> You snipped my research that it is in the process
> of incorporating such a feature, if not already.

Oh, sorry. I was rushing too much. In that case this is a pretty good
candidate since it has drawing tools as well.

>> >We could create a howto for each tool:
>> >Lenya, SubEthaEdit, Gobby, InkScape.
>>
>> I agree we should examine alternatives, but the only one in this list
>> that is an alternative is SubEthaEdit, unfortunately that is Mac only
>> (is it not?). Gobby is cross platform, although too dificult to install
>> on Mac at this time (work in progress).
>
> As i was suggesting, my quick search revealed one
> possibility. There must be more.

There is a section in the document for other tools, Addi (or was it
Diwaker?) added another alternative there. If we need to use such tools we
know Gobby works, but is a long way from perfect. I'm more than happy to
experiment with other alternatives as well.

Ross