forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A 0.8 release? (was Re: [Proposal] rollback)
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 03:55:21 GMT

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> This was confirmed in response to my recent suggestions to create all
>> new features in separate branches that can be integrated (and
>> released) as soon as they are stable.

> Merging different branches that are have to go to the core are *not*
> possible, merging will be nearly impossible (too many possible
> conflicts).

So why was this decided in the first place? Is it really impossible or
does it just require a different approach?

> Besides the danger of:
> El jue, 29-09-2005 a las 10:46 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
>> Branches tend to become islands of lone development, ...

Hmm ... This point was made before and I didn't object. Now I do:

What is different about a feature development in a branch
that I (for lack of time or interest) _choose_ not to look at before
it is proposed for integration and a concurrent development of several
features (current situation) that a significant number of committers
cannot follow anymore because they simple get lost in the complexity
of several things happening at the same time.

Please do realize that other people do not have your level of
understanding of Forrest so carrying on at the level of
complexity you will simply loose their input. And that in my view is
no longer a matter of choice of their part so I'd clearly prefer the
first way.

--
Ferdinand Soethe