forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: [v2] AJAX in views?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:48:05 GMT
El mié, 19-10-2005 a las 09:52 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
> > out-of-the-box.
> >
> > WDYT?
> What is the use case?

ATM no actual use case, but we can use it in e.g. the search contract
and enable the google suggestions AJAX in general is really
useful and I have tons of ideas around it. ;-)

> It seems to me that with this Forrest would be moving a long way from a
> publishing framework and becoming more like Cocoon itself, an
> application framework. But maybe I'm just bind to the use case.

Hmm, IMO no. contracts are extra-content and/or extra-functionality.
AJAX is just a way to update parts of the site on user interaction
without having to reload the whole site.

> > There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
> > this in existing structurer?
> We need Forms to be working first.

Why do you think so?

Forms depend on AJAX (not the other way around, have a look at

Anyway you can use pure AJAX without forms. The cocoon-AJAX "just"
provides a new transformer and the standard AJAX jscripts (like
prototype.js et. al.). We do not even need to use the cocoon block to
add AJAX support.

> The easiest way to get forms woking
> is to make Forrest a Cocoon block.

hmm, I know to less about block ATM to comment on that.

> To do this we need to remove the need
> for a custom cocoon.xcong. To do this we need a new config system, to do
> this we need to finsih FOR-200 (getting much closer, only resources to
> do now and we got that 80% done on the last Forrest Tuesday, just got to
> nail a final little problem).
> > Or is it better to create a new plugin?
> If we make Forrest a Cocoon block then we get to use the Ajax block
> however we want.

Actually AJAX support is just linking a couple of jscripts by default in
the view. Thinking about it the easiest way is to write a contract for

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

View raw message