forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [v2] AJAX in views?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:48:05 GMT
El mié, 19-10-2005 a las 09:52 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
> > out-of-the-box.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> What is the use case?

ATM no actual use case, but we can use it in e.g. the search contract
and enable the google suggestions
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en. AJAX in general is really
useful and I have tons of ideas around it. ;-)

> It seems to me that with this Forrest would be moving a long way from a
> publishing framework and becoming more like Cocoon itself, an
> application framework. But maybe I'm just bind to the use case.

Hmm, IMO no. contracts are extra-content and/or extra-functionality.
AJAX is just a way to update parts of the site on user interaction
without having to reload the whole site.

> > There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
> > this in existing structurer?
>
> We need Forms to be working first.

Why do you think so?

Forms depend on AJAX (not the other way around, have a look at
blocks.properties).

Anyway you can use pure AJAX without forms. The cocoon-AJAX "just"
provides a new transformer and the standard AJAX jscripts (like
prototype.js et. al.). We do not even need to use the cocoon block to
add AJAX support.

> The easiest way to get forms woking
> is to make Forrest a Cocoon block.

hmm, I know to less about block ATM to comment on that.

> To do this we need to remove the need
> for a custom cocoon.xcong. To do this we need a new config system, to do
> this we need to finsih FOR-200 (getting much closer, only resources to
> do now and we got that 80% done on the last Forrest Tuesday, just got to
> nail a final little problem).
>
> > Or is it better to create a new plugin?
>
> If we make Forrest a Cocoon block then we get to use the Ajax block
> however we want.

Actually AJAX support is just linking a couple of jscripts by default in
the view. Thinking about it the easiest way is to write a contract for
that.

salu2
--
thorsten