forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of "views" development (Was: svn commit: r292072)
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:49:58 GMT
El mar, 04-10-2005 a las 19:20 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:
> > >
> > > What! Do you mean also the original source which provides
> > > the main content?
> >
> > Per definition there is no main content anymore. That is why I always
> > said views are going to change forrest from ground up. In combination
> > with the lm forrest could be used as renderer only.
>
> What "definition" are you referring to?

The J2EE dispatcher view pattern.

> I am going by the description at
> site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html
>
> The first two steps provide the initial content via an
> input plugin, then views operate from Step 3 onwards
> adding more content nuggets, functionality, and design.

No:
  request                                                    theme
    \|/                                                       \|/
core (views) -> output plugin (views can bypass them) -> output/response
   |   /|\
  \|/   |
+------------------+    +-----------------+
|forrest:contracts |--->|  input plugin   |
|forrest:properties|<---|src (+navigation)|
+------------------+    +-----------------+

View is the one and only dispatcher that will only request what is
needed. We do not have a linear processing anymore. Views are
responsible to contact the src-resolver (1.) and dispatch/filter (2.).
What I am trying to say (since my work with views started) is that 3. is
done in the dispatching phase to not carrying content down the pipe that
is not needed. Views are more then a structurer, mainly it is a
dispatcher.

IMO it should be:
1) Resolver (view)
2) Filter (content as dispatched and determined by the view)
3) Xifier (content)
4) Windower (presentation)
5) Themer (presentation)
6) Serializer (presentation)