forrest-dev mailing list archives

From e...@brakkee.org
Subject Re: Include mechanism for forrest...
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:50:00 GMT
Hi,

All in all, what do you think about this  proposal:
- extend the xdoc DTD with an include element so that includes can be used out of the box
without breaking the DTD
- implement the include as a thin layer on top of xinclude within Forrest, providing a simple
syntax, yet not limiting the power of xinclude.

I can help with the implementation since I already encountered a number of problems.

Cheers
  Erik

-----Original Message-----

From:  Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
Subj:  Re: Include mechanism for forrest...
Date:  Mon 17 Oct 2005 10:06
Size:  595 bytes
To:  dev@forrest.apache.org

David Crossley wrote:
> Also Cocoon will cache the results of each pipeline, so if
> the xincluded file changes, then the changes will have
> no effect.

The XInclude transformer is not cacheable. This is good with respect to
the problem you identify, but bad with respect to performance issues,
since the include is processed regardless of whether the included
document is changed, thus the generated document can never be cached.

For simple includes we should use CInclude instead, this is cacheable,
however, CInclude does not allow the use of XPath so does not fit this
use case.

Ross