forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Forrest-Cocoon-Lenya commit access
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:24:53 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> I can only imagine that for an existing committer on
> another project, the bar would likely be set pretty low for a
> committership offer anyway -- so asking them to add a JIRA issue and
> and contribute a patch to determine whether they're truly committed to
> forrest or just stumbled across a couple bugs isn't a great burden for
> someone already familiar with the process anyway.
..
> Opening the doors because we trust folks to know their own limitations
> but what's it buy us?
> Between your hypothetical and Nicola's Ant experience, I just don't
> see the value in it -- is it just a "good will" jesture or what?

A very good mail, I think you are right.

Opening up to all committers of another Apache project should be akin to
giving temporary commit access to others... in this case Lenya needs it
to help un in integration, and Cocoon committers already have shown that
they sometimes want to help, but all others don't fit in the picture, so
my proposal is unnecessary.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -