forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Forrest-Cocoon-Lenya commit access
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:57:33 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> So are we now saying that "merit" applies across the ASF?

In a sense, WRT trust, IMO, yes.

> That just
> doesn't make sense to me given the diversity of projects here.  I mean
> my own interpretation is that there are two parts to merit: 1)
> Technical and 2) Community/Social.  I would concede in general that
> the second applies to most if not all projects but it just can't be
> said that technical merit does -- one could look at my c++ skills or
> lack thereof for evidence.

Ok, correct. The point is that if someone has (2) - he must have if he
is an Apache committer as Apache *is* a meritrocracy - then he will
surely be able to decide if his technical level is good enough to apply
a patch.

> If merit isn't at the foundation level, then it needs to be earned at
> the project level. Earned, of course, being the operative word.  And,
> how could it be earned without consistently good contributions. This
> proposals gives blanket merit to folks that have not, with this
> definition at least, earned it.  How does one reconcile these?  I can
> only do this with by changing "committership==merit" to
> "committership==(merit || trust)" but that seems like we're redefining
> some longstanding ASF concepts.

Wait, project membership==merit.
Simple committership is only about trust IMHO.

> Please note that I'm not saying that anyone on Lenya or Cocoon
> couldn't earn merit (on the contrary, I'd concede that their Cocoon
> knowledge would make it very easy to do so), just that they haven't
> yet.

That's why they are not to be part of the PMC automatically.

IOW, I trust them, so I give them access.
After earning merit we can have also participation in the project AKA be
a PMC member.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -