forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] crawl our dynamic forrest rather than commandline
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:04:21 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> We would rather use Forrest in dynamic mode
> so that we do not need to worry about the
> filename extensions in the output space and
> take more advantage of the Cocoon facilities
> like "Cocoon views" etc.
>
> However, we must be able to produce a static
> set of documents. That constrains us to the
> filename extension thing.
>
> Would it be possible to use an external tool
> like "wget" or maybe Apache Ant, to crawl a local
> Forrest server and detect the mime-types and create
> the set of files, appending the appropriate extension?
>
> That is just a wild thought, but so many times
> i read back through our mail archives, and see
> us hindered by this need to stick with the
> filename extensions and limit our use of Cocoon.
> Our design decisions are hampered.

I'm sure (I have seen the code) that Cocoon CLI has been thought to be
able to crawl also links with ?a=b parameters in it, although I have
never tried it.

In any case I personally don't think that parameters have sense if a
site is made static, as they are there only to make things dynamic. IOW
URLs that show "static" content should not have them. IMHO that is.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -