forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Proposal for Forrest-Cocoon-Lenya commit access
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:43:01 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>I would propose that commit access is given to all Apache committers; I
>>don't see why Lenya or Cocoon committers have more "merit" than any
>>other at Apache.
>>I would like to remind all that Gump has the same pattern of access, and
>>nobody screwed the codebase.
> That is only for /gump/metadata/ i.e. the gump records
> for each project.
>>Furthermore, being Forrest used in so many
>>Apache projects, it makes sense to open to them too, so that they can
>>help if they need it.
> How come they haven't sent patches. That is not
> hard for committers.

For the same reason they are not using the commit access. They are not
interested in participating. Opening doors to collegues does not mean
they will come in to party every day ;-)

Let's not be driven by fear, but by opportunity... and let's look at
history. Our open access to Cocoon and Lenya has never given us issues.
Instead we have gained Antonio and Unico's locationmap. All gain, no
pain... where's the problem?

If we will have problems, we can still lock down later. Let's remember
it's not about opening to the world, but to *Apache* peers.

BTW, IIRC Jakarta had blanket access in the beginning. With walls
between codebases came also fragmentation and division. Not that this
applies to this situation, just something that came to my mind.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
            - verba volant, scripta manent -