forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:04:33 GMT
> > We need to be clear on what we are going to achieve and how *before*
> > having a Forrest Tuesday event.
>
> To an extent. It is very hard to be clear beforehand.

I agree. Besides, I think FT's provide a unique opportunity for people
to collaboratively explore new directions. This is important, because
even if we are clear on what we want to achieve, unexpected surprises
might come up on the way (implementation details/limitations that we
didn't think of earlier etc) so we need some kind of "slack".

> > No, having asynchronous discussion will sort out the issues. This is not
> > noise, it is very important dicussion that is analysing the experimental
> > work carried out on Forrest Tuesday. We have to find what is valuable
> > about that approach and what is valuable about the alternative
> > approaches that have not yet been worked on.

It will sort out issues eventually. But I agree with Gavin that there
seems to be a lot of confusion as to what was achieved and how
valuable it was during the last FT. Personally, I think it was great
-- well begun is half done, and I think after all those discussions on
XHTML2 it was a good first step. True we might have wasted time, and
we might end up implementing the same thing over and over again --
apart from the learning experience people had, I think this has value
of its own in terms of understanding exactly what are the hard
problems that we need to focus on.

> I wonder if we can gather together for an hour or two
> to just discuss in real time where we are going.
> Define some objectives.
>
> It could be an IRC session. For me the other day
> i found it difficult to hold multi-facetted discussion.
> Still worthwhile.

+1 for IRC. +0 for Skype. Weekends work best for me, I'll go with the majority.

> If there is no one against this idea, then we could
> define what we want to achieve and find a suitable
> time slot. WDYT?

Lets do it!
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: floatingsun.net