forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r279511 - /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.xhtml2/resources/stylesheets/xhtml2_to_html.xsl
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:17:48 GMT
> twilliams@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: twilliams
> > Date: Wed Sep  7 21:40:42 2005
> > New Revision: 279511

> > Log:
> > can't return all the html, head, stuff for insertion in the pipeline.  temporary
solution to get on with pipeline testing

> Why do you want the output to look like document2html output and then be
> passed into the existing pipelines?

Because that's how views work right now.  I didn't have this grand
redesign scheme in my mind at the time.  I thought we were getting
XHTML2 to work with the current views and replacing the **body-*.html
aggregation "part" in the **page pipeline with an xthml2tohtml
equivalent was how I did it.

> Don't we just want XHTML2 -> output plugin = desired output

That's what it is, but views operate on html structured like the
output of document2html.  I wasn't redesigning views, just getting
xhtml2 to work with them.

> Meaning we only need an XHTML2_to_HTML stylesheet>
>
> (I recall a conversation Tim and I had on IRC in which he asked me why
> we need the XHTML2HTML stylesheet. I seem to remember the answer I gave
> was misleading to say the least. Hopefully recent discussions about the
> new pipeline will have clarified - if not I'll try agian when I
> understand the intent of this commit, I may be missing something)
>
> Ross

I could very well be missing something but like I tried to explain in
the other thread, to get xhtml2 to work with views (or the current
skins for that matter) we need two things:
1) a xslt that outputs html with the same structure of document2html
2) a change in the **page pipeline to call that instead of **body-*.html

Even when we do what you suggest and use contracts for everything
instead of aggregation, the implementation of that contract will still
need something similar to this.

--tim