forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:26:48 GMT
On 9/8/05, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> >
> > I think I grasped the TR.  I didn't grasp that the scope of the
> > current effort was implementing the entire TR.  I thought we were only
> > focused on the first part -- using XTHML2 as our source.  I just
> > didn't pick up on that earlier for some reason.
>
> We are focussing on the first part, but that also involves
> all the rest because we need new core pipelines.
>
> -David

Technically, these are two separate issues.  I'm cool with it either
way but I just want to make note about what we really *need* to do vs.
what we're making a concious choice to do.  In order to use XHTML2
with views (or for the existing skins for that matter) we need a
transform (e.g. document2html) and a mod to the *.page pipeline that
calls that transform instead of the existing **body-*.html pipe (w/
some other small tweaks here and there).   This new stylesheet and the
new pipe would still be re-used even in our new concept of views -- so
it wouldn't be throw-away as far as I can tell.

I'm still catching up on Thorsten's long email the other day about
views, dispatcher, etc so I'm not sure what the implication is quite
yet, but he's now thinking java for some and jxtemplates for the
structurer.  So, views is also somewhat of a moving target.  That
being the case, it's probably important that we explicitly recognize
that this will be the location for future view development from now on
vs. view/viewHelper.

If we *want* to take it all on now, that's fine, I just didn't "get"
that for some reason.

--tim