forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <>
Subject xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:16:42 GMT
When you start reading these issues, it's not as bad as it sounds,
I've got an xhtml page "viewed" at this point, although it's really

Here's what I've done:
o) Changed *.page to use a new pipeline **xhtmlbody-*.fhtml instead of
the old **body-*.html
o) Changed the stylesheet we got to deliver a div id="content" wrapped
html chunk instead of a complete html document.
o) Added the **xhtmlbody-* pipeline mentioned above.  It essentially
just applies the stylesheet.
o) Changed the **.html back to using *.page as it's generator src.
o) Changed structurer.xmap to be pass-through.
o) Tested each view-related pipeline with success.

Here's why I haven't yet checked everything in (i.e. our problem)
o) Having an internal plugin that matches **.html is really bad -- it
breaks lots of stuff (e.g. menu-*.html, tab-*.html, etc.)
o) As a workaround I changed the relevant bits to match and find
*.fhtml instead of *.html.  I did that because I wanted to see
something working and it does.

Bottom line (ok Thorsten get's one and only one "i told you so"';)
appears to be that these won't work properly as an internal plugin.
So, at this point I'm thinking the following course of action:
1) Create two brand new plugins
don't worry so much about the names.  The point is that we've (i've at
least) learned tons by having this xhtml2 plugin but I think it's time
already for a fresh start.  We should make these new plugins with
view/viewHelper as the model. What I'm calling "newCore" will
obviously get rolled into the core forrest when we're done and the
plugin removed.  What I'm calling output.defaultTheme will likely go
through name changes, may or may not be a part of core/stay in a

Then we can get back up and running quicker so that we're not fighting
with taking over core sitemap things like tab-*.html, etc, letting us
focus on the real xhtml2 issue.  There are other smaller problems too
but this is the real showstopper at the moment.

View raw message