forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Design meeting focus
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:54:03 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>The original topic was how to implement
>>>views/xhtml2/internals. I reckon that they
>>>are all entwined.
>>
>>I've said it before and I'll say it again, they aren't necessarily,
>>and I mean *technically*, entwined.  I've tried, and apparently
>>failed, in several emails to describe in technical terms why they are
>>not entwined, but it's essentially for how Thorsten says, "views *are*
>>*just* replacing site2xhtml.xsl of leather-dev".  If we view the
>>resultant html of document2html as an Interface (in oo terms), then
>>that's what views are programmed to and that's why they aren't
>>entwined.
>

> Thanks to that paragraph i now understand heaps more
> about views. I was seeing views as covering many,
> if not all, of the steps in xdocs/TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html
> Glad it is more confined. That means we can do things
> in stages.

Hmmmm... I'll resist discussing now other than to say it would be well
worth while reading my discussion of *which* stages of the TR views
cover and compare that to the current implementation. I think we need to
discuss my what I said in my email in some detail, if I have that wrong
then there is no real argument about how to implmeent XHTML2 in core.

>>If we want to entwine them as a dev-decision, then that is obviously a
>>different story.  I just want to be clear that technically, it is not
>>[in the current views implementation] entwined.  I sincerely hope that
>>Thorsten will correct me if I've mis-spoke here.
>

> I am trying to ensure that if views do have any
> requirements regarding xhtml2, then these are
> defined as early as possible. If there are not,
> then great, it makes the job simpler.
>
> Would someone please attempt to define
> what we will discuss tomorrow.

My para above indicates one thing I think is important for discussion.

Here is what I wanted to start the session with:

"What are we trying to achieve by using XHMTL2 in the core?"

I suspect I will then follow up with the question below, whether I do or
not depends on the answers to the first question:

"What do we achieve by doing a partial implementation of XHTML2 in core?"

The reason for starting with these questions is that *can* does not mean
*should* and I hope that the answers to these questions will help us
understand whether we *should* do this in stages.

I guess that boils down to a question of what we gain/lose by doing it
in stages within our increasingly restrictive architecture or as a
rewrite of that architecture for an upcoming 1.0 release.

I'll repeat my opening question now, so people can think about it before
  the IRC session:

What are we trying to achieve by using XHTML2 in the core?

Ross