forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Chaining plguins (was Re: What does "XHTML2 as an internal document format" mean?)
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:52:49 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 01:56, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>An Example Input Plugin
>>-----------------------
>>
>>It is the job of our input plugins to provide the internal format.
>>Consder a OpenOffice input plugin, it converts the OOo XML format to our
>>internal format. What forrest:contracts does it provide?
>>
>>An OOo document consists of meta-data, content (made up of pages,
>>sections, paragraphs) and style information. So logical contracts would
>>be various meta-data contracts (authors, statistics, abstract,
>>keywords), content (all, page X etc.) and style (produces CSS). This way
>>a user can decide which parts of the original document are used.
>

> Most Excellent Ross,
>
> Just a question. How do you propose managing Docbook :-)
>
> Stupid ppl, like me, like to use the power of all the Docbook Stylesheets as
> they do 99% of everything we need for publishing. So, as you know, there is a
> set of XHTML XSLT for DocbookXML2XHTML.
>
> If Forrest could input the XHTML from Docbook it would be so nice.
>
> dbxml > X/HTML (single/chunked) > input > internal > output > formats

As things are today it is not possible to have dependencies between
plugins. However, Daniel (from Cocoon) showed me how we can use a
feature of Cocoon blocks (wiring.xml) to manage ingheritance between
plugins.

In other words we can write a docbook plugin that extends the XHTML
plugin. It will use the docbook stylsheets to convert to XHTML and then
the XHTML plugin to convert to our internal format. I've not found a use
case strong enough for me to take the time to implement this yet,
however, if anyone wants to tackle it I'll be happy to pass on what
Daniel showed me.

Ross

Ross