forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Split cocoon from forrest
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:09:02 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>

>>>the update try experience made me think why are we not splitting cocoon
>>>apart from forrest.
>>>
>>>I mean you would need them both to make forrest running. That would
>>>overcome the whole procedure. We can set certain revision numbers of
>>>cocoon-2.2 till it is not released. Kind of we having in lenya.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?
>>
>>I don't like it.
>

> Seconded
>

>>I can visualise us having to support a stack of Cocoon user
>>questions and we don't have enough people here to help.
>>
>>Also we use cocoon trunk so that makes it even harder
>>for our users.
>>
>>I would rather than we Forrest committers did a little bit
>>of extra work, to make it easier for our developers/users.
>

> Or simply rearrange and separate the Cocoon bits from the Forrest bits
> to make update easier.

I've been experimenting with turning Forrest into a block. There are
some problem with this related to some of the stuff we do in
forrest.xconf, however, I have a proposal for how this can be resolved
(as part of the redefinition of the config files).

When I have time, probably a week or so away, I will write this up.

We will then be able to include the relevant parts of Cocoon from SVN
(use SVN external) and compile it when we run build.sh

More on this soon(ish).

Ross