forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tedios work and revision number
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:00:45 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>In order to save network traffic and history, I move our jars on the
>>lib/core instead of removing and adding a new version.
>

> It would be better to do the 'svn remove; svn add'.
> Why do we need history on these?

When I do an upgrade, not all the jars have change, just some of then,
so more than history is network/storage improbe..

>>I would like to simplify this for cocoon and other libraries (jtidy and jcs)
>>
>>can anyone remember why has to be like that?
>

> So that we know the exact version of Cocoon that
> it came from. This enables people who use our
> software to track any bugs in the supporting libaries.
>
> Note that there is the validation block that is
> not the same revision number as the other cocoon jars.
>
> There could be a shell script to do that update.
>

>>would it be enough to have it on the svn history?
>

> Only if committers remember to add the revision number
> to the commit message, so probably not.

Well, if we could do a script to do that, we can create the script to
add the revision number as well.

Also the naming
> convention means that users don't need to wade through
> our SVN logs to find out which version.

but that has a price in network/storage.

Deep inside I feel that this is wrong and we/I should look for a solution.
So never mind... I will try to get a script to do this...

Cheers,
cheche