forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:40:44 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>>>We need to be clear on what we are going to achieve and how *before*
>>>having a Forrest Tuesday event.
>>
>>To an extent. It is very hard to be clear beforehand.

Yes, it is true we cannot clearly define individual tasks, but we can at
least agree an approach. I think that is where we failed here, we had a
grand vision but no approach planned, instead we had a number of tasks
that were ill-defined.

> I agree. Besides, I think FT's provide a unique opportunity for people
> to collaboratively explore new directions. This is important, because
> even if we are clear on what we want to achieve, unexpected surprises
> might come up on the way (implementation details/limitations that we
> didn't think of earlier etc) so we need some kind of "slack".

This is also true.

>>I wonder if we can gather together for an hour or two
>>to just discuss in real time where we are going.
>>Define some objectives.
>>
>>It could be an IRC session. For me the other day
>>i found it difficult to hold multi-facetted discussion.
>>Still worthwhile.

I'm OK with this as long as we are aware that this is not to be a
*standard* approach and that we only hold it at a time when everybody,
who wants to attend, is able to do so (that shouldn't be too hard to
achieve, as David said many of us are prepared to be very flexible with
out timing).

> +1 for IRC. +0 for Skype. Weekends work best for me, I'll go with the majority.

I'd prefer Skype, I feel it is a higher bandwidth communication and is
less open to misinterpretation.

As an additional thought, there is a new thing called vSkype that allows
up to 200 people to participate and you can share one persons desktop.
We could use the shared desktop to allow someone to take real time notes
(if we use the Lenya instance, which seems to be up and running now, we
can switch the "note taker" around.

I'm not saying no to IRC, I'll use whatever is appropriate, it does have
the advantage of being self logging.

Whatever medium we need I think it is important that we follow
Ferdinands recomendation of taking a minute after each statement to
consider what has been said by the previous speaker (man that will be
hard for me!)

Ross