forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest:views and xhtml2
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:42:16 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 21:17 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>On 9/8/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>why are we using views in the xhtml2 plugin?
>>
>>This seems like an odd question.  Because views are an integral part
>>of the TR?   The plugin has turned into a next-gen forrest complete w/
>>new internal structure, refined views, integral locationmap usage, and
>>streamlined sitemap.
>>

> When did we agreed on all that? I remember a thought of Nicola (actually
> one sentence in the log) but never have seen any discussion about it on
> this list.

There was more than one sentence, there was support from myself (and a
simultaneous mail to this list with the same proposal). There were no
objections.

This does not mean it was agreed (no vote, not all devs present).
However, it does mean it is worth experimenting with.

> Actually I do *not* yet see that the plugin has turned to the
> next-gen forrest, nor that it should.

Fair enough, nobody has said it is the "next-gen" Forrest, we are doing
the above agreed experimentaiton in that plugin.

>>Why do you ask?
>>

> I see that the focus of this plugin is to wide.
>
> IMO we are trying to rewrite forrest with this plugin, but major parts
> *have to* change before we can do so.

Yes, as Nicola explained at the start of Forrest Tuseday there are
*many* major parts that need to change in order to properly leverage all
the cool new technology we have.

> It does not seem practical to use
> e.g. the views we have now or the processing of (tab, menu, doc and
> site) and trying to rewrite the core.

Agreed and the XHTML2 plugin does *not* use those concepts, I removed
them in preparation for moving that funcitonlaity into nuggets.

> Copying things from one place to
> another to just make it work is not my understanding of a total rewrite
> of forrest.

We have to start somewhere. We can now rewrite the contracts to work
with XHTML2 using this new plugin. We can now choose to start a new
plugin to do the rewrite and when it is done we will have the contracts
ready.

This is only one possible course of action, we could refactor within the
plugin, we could throw the plugin away as a flawed concept, we could do
any one of a number of different things. We have a start which is more
than we had before.

> IMO the xhtml2 plugin should only focus in providing the intermediate
> format in xhtml2 and that's it. To integrate views into it *now* makes
> the whole thing to complicated and slows down the process.

How do we get XHTML2 into Forrest as the intermediate format without
using the concepts that will be in core soon i.e. forrest:views?

I thought you didn't want us to work on skins anymore: "IMO we should
focus to implement views and not adding more (endless)
work with "old fashion" skins." [1]

Honestly Thorsten, it is impossible to please you sometimes.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=111770109311412&w=2

Ross