forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:58:09 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> I'll read the rest of this later but really quickly I don't see how
> moving the navi stuff out to a contract (which I agree with btw) is
> going to solve my problem.  It's not going to change that the internal
> plugin xmap has match precedence over the menu.xmap.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is here. Yo9u only refer to
problems with *.html matches. However, I don't think I need to
understand the problem because the internal plugin is intended to be a
complete rewrite of core (see the start of the IRC logs from where
Nickola logged in). In this plugin we will be replacing *all* matches in
core.

i.e. add a ew menu.xmap to the plugin.

> I've been thinking we were taking baby steps here.  I don't know that
> I want to tackle both "xhtml2 to core" and "views refinement" at the
> same time.

I don't think we can separate them efficiently, but I'm still reading...

>  My goal has just been to get the former done with current
> views, then tackle views refinement armed with what was learned in the
> first step.

Hmmm...

>  I think it'll take going through the pain of the first
> step in order for everyone to be able to speak intelligently about
> views and what the implications of suggestioning certain conceptual
> refinements might be technically.

There is some value in what you say here. However, I hate doing the same
job twice and always like to avoid doing so.

In other words, if it is not going to increase the workload then I say
go for it. I only raised the issue because your mail made me think that
you perhaps hadn't understood what the TR meant and the direction we are
heading as a project (you being fairly new around here and all that).

> For example, in this process so far, I've been notetaking my own ideas
> of how we might improve views but I don't want that to slow down the
> xhtml2 to core progress -- as it will require lots of
> non-code-but-thinking discussion.

By all means, proceed with your direction. We (the community) will
continue to make you aware of where we think we need to go in the
future. Your new eyes on the core code can only serve to add value to
those ideas.

My mails are meant to be informative/discussive, they do *not* contain
instructions ;-)

Ross