forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [Vote] giving svn access to lenya commiters
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:36:20 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>On 8/31/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>even if I running in the danger to have called this vote (again) too
>>early but see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112551792600003&r=1&w=2.
>>
>>Michael Wechner wrote
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lenya-dev&m=112551727916047&w=2:
>>

>>>I think the Lenya community should give commit access to the Forrest
>>>community
>>>if people agree to enhance the default publication of Lenya. If it is going
>>>to be a specific Forrest-Lenya publication, then I think it doesn't
>>>really matter
>>>where it's being housed as long as both communities have commit access ;-)
>>>

>>I think the same and we already discussed it.
>>
>>My
>>+1
>>
>>salu2
>>[OT] Nicola, that seems to be a case for simple committership. ;-)
>>--
>>thorsten
>>
>>"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
>>Hey you (Pink Floyd)
>>

>-0
>I know that only for a veto is an explanation necessary but I feel
>obligated to provide my rationale.
>
>o)  I see no *pragmatic* difference between committership and this svn
>access--both have write access, neither have binding votes. The
>difference is only the words.
>
>o) Seeing no pragmatic difference, I consider this essentially the
>same as a vote for commitership and, there's no merit, so I dont' see
>how it can be possible. I think perhaps the bar for commitership might
>very well be lower for existing commiters on other projects but not so
>low as to having contributed nothing.
>
>o) I see valid alternatives:  (e.g. GSOC-type restricted and temporary
>access like Cocoon did with their GSOC folks)

In fact, the give the access in this sense. Note, that we are not voting
new forrest committers. Remember that at any time, the Forrest PMC can
call again a VOTE to close the access.

>The two reasons I'm not vetoing this:
>
>o) I have faith in those who are more experienced than I with the
>Apache Way to do the right thing.

Thank you very much! I really apreciate your vote of confidence!

>o) I recognize that my dissent is more principle-based than pragmatic
>(i.e. the Lenya folks are really good and really smart so there will
>likely not be any harm in this -- and the intent is to try and get
>stuff done.)  I do find it somewhat ironic that the principles that I
>think are being compromised are ones that are very dear to every here
>but very new to me.

Don't feel that. I fully understand you, believe me. ;-)

>Regardless, I look forward to seeing progress with doco...

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo