forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Views Terminology
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:01:51 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Sorry, I'm late to respond, as usual ...

Better late then never :-)

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>>Stucture
>
> Thanks for starting this definition drive. That is really helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to go over it, I was concerned it would get
lost in the archives. Bringing it back to current like this is important.

>>This was used in two contexts: structure of the final output page (as in
>>forrest:view) and structure of the src page that an editor is concerned
>>with (i.e. Lenya).
>

> Perhaps here we should go into more detail:
>
> - structure of content:
>
>   The semantic (=meaning based) structure of the document as defined
>   by the grammar and implemented by the author using the grammar to
>   write her content as an xml-document that adheres to this grammar.

yes

> - structure of site:
>
>   The structure of the complete site and the position of a document
>   within it. This is currently defined by the grammar and limitations of
>   site.xml and implemented by the author or editor assembling a site
>   from different data sources.

yes

>   In future plug-ins may allow for alternative grammars to replace
>   site.xml for example of a simpler directory-hierarchie like
>   type.

Not "in the future", but now. See the IMS Manifest plugin and the Daisy
plugin for examples.

> - structure of hooks
>
>   The structuring of the assembled page where all content is in place
>   and structured with div and span-elements to provide hooks for
>   theming.

Yes

>   Seems to me that this stage might not be required for all kind of
>   output media. Or do we image xml-fo transformations implementing a
>   similar kind of theming to css?

Personally, I think we will end up with a similar theming in other
output formats. I would love to be able to change the layout of my PDF
pages on a per page basis like I can with HTML. This would make the
creation of, for example, newsletters using Forrest much more realistic.

> - structure of final output page
>
>   The structuring done by type-setting the final result with css or
>   xsl:fo.

Yes, but it is not limited to CSS or XSL:FO, think of the text or
voiceXML plugins.

Ross