forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon 2 speech?
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:26:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
 > Ross Gardler wrote:
 >
 >> [CC'd to Forrest]
 >>
 >> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
 >>
 >>> came across
 >>>
 >>>  http://freetts.sourceforge.net/
 >>>
 >>> the first demo of cocoon that I ever did in public was a hello world
 >>> page in html, pdf, svg and voicexml, with the little merlin dude
 >>> speaking 'hello world' to the audience (got a standing ovation for
 >>> that!) It always bugged me that I needed an external tool for that
 >>> that worked only on windows... but I found this.
 >>>
 >>> Have no time, but it would be cool if somebody could write a
 >>> voicexml->wav serializer using that (it's BSD).
 >>

 >> This really would be cool. Over on Forrest we have a whiteboard
 >> VoiceXML plugin (donated by a GSoC student who did not get an award
 >> but still got us started on the plugin, thanks HANAX). This plugin
 >> renders any Forrest page as voice XML. Currently it only works with
 >> VoiceXML enabled browsers (e.g. Opera on Windows), a serialiser would
 >> be great, even better if we can then stream the result.
 >

 > There's more to VoiceXML than just text-to-speech.

Yes, you can use voice to navigate a Forrest site using the VoceXML
plugin as well, functionlaity is basic (go to section X, go back a
section, read this part etc.) I plan to use it to make an Toy Library
catalogue available to visually impaired users via VOIP and telephone.

 >\You should have a
 > look at JVoiceXML [1], a VoiceXML browser that uses Freetts. It's LGPL
 > though.

Shame about LGPL, but thanks for the pointer, we failed to find that
when looking for .

Ross

[1] http://jvoicexml.sourceforge.net/