forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Proposal for Forrest-Cocoon-Lenya commit access
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:17:10 GMT
Hi:

Thanks to David for the overview. IMO we should modularize this whole
discusion in different topics. The lenght of the thread scream for
"SoC". :-)

Thank to Thorsten that kindly shared with the rest of us (that are not
participating on lenya-dev) the discussion about this topic in the lenya
side.

Since the subject is about the Lenya SVN access to Forrest I will try to
keep on the topic:

Let review a bit the history
===================

Since 1998 we are working in an easy way to make people docs [0] and
dreaming about an unified an integrated document system for Open Source
projects. Since 2003, this idea is what we called "Doco". [1]

While all the 3 communities (cocoon, lenya and forrest) liked Doco and
everybody told that is going to contribute with the project. The truth
is that we are 2 years ahead and there is no Doco! I believe this is
mostly, because the following technical problems:

1- Nobody had enough knowledge of the all the involved projects.
2-When we had contact with the othe community we found we spoke
different languages. :-(

Some of us started to get involved in other communities to see what we
can do. In my case this how I started in Lenya!

Is there a hope for Doco?
===================
IMO, yes:

1-The 3 communities are bigger now than 2 years ago.
2-We need to surf the increasing wave of Doco interest inside the
communities.
3-THE BEST: the communities already digested the overall Doco idea and
are ready to help each other in order to make Doco a reality!

Why Lenya need access to our SVN?
===========================
The lastest discusions about Doco showed that we can try to create a
"Lenya Publication"[2] in forrest. That means that is going to be
renderd by forrest. To make the things easiers, some of use believe we
need to give SVN access to Lenya that way all the people can work
together in the same repository.

As we can see this has nothing against meritocracy, principles or ideal.
What we want to do is something that Nicola already expressed better[3]:

David, it seems Ross cracked open the coconut and we now have
opensource nirvana. Cool beans! :-)

Why not a new incubator project or a new list?

The reality is tha infra folks are very busy. The ASF is very fast growing and now they have
to manage more servers and hundreds of committers.
Unfortunately, that means a request to infra takes long time now. We know history: months
waiting. So, We don't want to lose the wave! We believe we can start sharing our communities
resources and if the initial efforts shows we are going in the right way, then we can request
to start the Apache Doco project.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[0] http://cocoon.apache.org/history.html