forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A 0.8 release? (was Re: [Proposal] rollback)
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:13:34 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> Why do we want to release 0.8, now?

One reason is that we agreed a while ago that
we should release more often. We also have an
improved Cocoon underneath. Features are easier
for users to grasp in small stages.

> I thought we said we need to refactor the whole lot but now we want
> again release partial work? We have ongoing discussions about opening
> new branches, doing the work in plugins, ...

Ongoing because it is obviously not decided how to
approach the work. Does it really matter that we
release partial work. It is clearly labelled as
being in development.

Sure we all want views/xhtml ready and released
ASAP, but the reality is that this will take time.

> Sorry, but it is starting to get real confusing.
>
> We need a final decision backup with a vote.

If we talk through the issues then we will have
a solid understanding of the best way to go
and a vote would be unnecessary.

If we do decide to make a 0.8 release now, then
we would need to take some time to improve the
current views documentation to emphasise that
if people want to work with "views" then they
need to not use the release code but jump into
the "0.x-dev" version.

-David