forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A 0.8 release? (was Re: [Proposal] rollback)
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:54:20 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=111986901417286&w=2
> >
> >Sorry, I was a bit terse.
> >
> >What I meant to say is exactly along the lines that Ross quoted here
> >(thanks, I'll add the title of Mc. Quickfind :-)).
> >
> >In other words: Now that we are back to a working trunk, let's start
> >working on 0.8 M1 with the locationmap as the only feature.
>
> We've done quite a bit of design work since that mail was written.
> Here's what I propose now (almost the same, but considering what has
> been said regarding the XHTML2 move):
>
> 0.8   - refactored sitemaps to utilise locationmap
> 0.9   - core as a plugin framework (all input/output code to plugins)
> 0.10  - views integration (which incorporate the move to XHTML2 subset)
> 1.0   - a big tidy up of JIRA issues
>
> I see the 0.8 and 0.9 releases as being fairly rapid. They are not huge
> jobs.

I like the idea of releasing in stages,
rather than a huge bang with many new or
changed functionality.

> It is the 0.10 work that will take lots of time (at least I
> believe so).

And then perhaps 0.11, 0.12 for bugfixing.
We need to be sure that 1.0 is robust.

> We should do parallel development on the 0.8/0.9 releases and the
> views/xhtml2 work (done in plugins, yes I changed my mind).

What caused you to change your mind?

You almost had me convinced that doing the work
in a development branch was the way to go.

> We keep trunk stable up until the 1.0-dev work. At this point we move
> have a stable branch and a trunk for integration of views into core.
> This is likely to end up in an unstable trunk for a time.

Sorry, i cannot parse that paragraph.
Did you mean to say "until the 0.10-dev work"?
Also i got confused about which bit is "stable"
and what stable means.

-David