forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] rollback
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:46:32 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> >Why can't we just roll back trunk to a stable version, and move the
> >views/xhtml2 work to a new branch? I think thats much neater, and easier
> >both on devs and users alike. People can hack away on the views/xhtml2
> >branch without having to worry about breaking trunk for someone.
>
> +1
>
> In fact this is exactly what we agreed in the IRC session:
>
> Sep 19 11:17:31 <tscherler>	- we should get the xhtml2 and view internal
> together
> Sep 19 11:18:03 <tscherler>	- xhtml2 should be merged into the internal
> views stuff, simply replace the docuemnt2html part
> Sep 19 11:18:42 <tscherler>	- x2 plugin should provide xdocs2x2
> convertion
> Sep 19 11:19:17 <tscherler>	- views should work with x2 input
> Sep 19 11:21:15 <tscherler>	- we need to write a x2 to xhtml plugin
> Sep 19 11:21:52 <tscherler>	that should be basically a bunch of contracts
> Sep 19 11:22:19 <tscherler>	roadmap:
> Sep 19 11:22:31 <tscherler>	1) create new branch
> Sep 19 11:22:48 <tscherler>	2) move view stuff and x2 stuff into core
> Sep 19 11:23:10 <tscherler>	3) resolving by both only allowed through lm
> Sep 19 11:23:37 <tscherler>	4) create xdocs2x2 plugin
> Sep 19 11:24:10 <tscherler>	5) create x2 to xhtml plugin
> Sep 19 11:24:41 <tscherler>	in this branch all skins are removed
> Sep 19 11:24:52 <tscherler>	only view is supported
> Sep 19 11:25:19 <tscherler>	skin pipes are to be refactored to output
> xhtml2

Hold on. That IRC discussion was extremely rushed at the end.
We did not make any decisions there. Someone was going to make
a proposal. Are you sure that a branch is the way to do this?
Branches tend to become islands of lone development, and when
they go on for too long, become hard to merge.

How will this branch be merged? I see some confusing quick
comments in that IRC log, but no resolution.

The thing that really frightens me is the comment
"in this branch all skins are removed". Perhaps that is
what is needed, but we must decide and not just an offhand
comment in an IRC log.

What was wrong with Thorsten's proposal to cease work
on the old plugins and create new plugins?

-David