forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "HANAX" <hanax_forr...@centrum.sk>
Subject RE: Re: voice plugin
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:49:43 GMT

> >>I've just created a skeleton contract for you [1]. All it does is place
> >>a new meta element in head, look at the source of any page in the voice
> >>plugin documentation and you'll see what I mean.
> >>

> > Ok, I've got problem with SVN, I don't have latest versions... :( Now it's ok and
I see changes. But... I don't understand how forrest knows that it should use voice.fv :)

> In my site, I don't have this file and so that it does not contains added META element
neither changed title. Should I have also voice.fv in site dir? I'm confused - it seems
> that my plugin and voice plugin are somehow unlinked... I can't explain good what I mean,
sorry, but it's probably I still don't understand well the "engine of plugins"... :)

> You need to work with the latest version from SVN otherwise you will not
> see the changes I am making.
>
> To see how it knows to use the voice.fv file look at the commit I have
> linked to a number of times in this thread. You will see that the file
> is added and a reference to it is made in forrest.properties.
>
> >>The template can operate on any part of the document just as it could
> >>before. To see how take a look at the "content-main" template that puts
> >>the body of a page into place [2]
> >>

> > Great, finally I understand basics now :) Seems that now I need to split my work
to 2 contracts:
> > 1. to generate VoiceXML into header
> > 2. to generate body section of mxml file
>
> :-)) correct (almost) - you are getting the hang of it.
>
> It's actually a little simpler, one cantract can add content to both
> header and body. But we'll come to the body stuff later. Lets just focus
> on the head stuff for now.

But I thought that might be better for me to add some vidual feedback while reading body.

If I understood, views works only for XHTML output. So if I request .mxml file views aren't
used? But maybe I'm wrong... When I request .mxml site, I got same results as I had without
views. So how to tell forrest that I want to use some view if I request .mxml file? I mean
now it renders whole content via xsl but I want to make contract which will render header
and body with "header stylesheet" and "body stylesheeet". I have vague idea how to make that
with contract, what I'm asking for now is way to connect .mxml and views.

> > Now it raises one question for me, how this differs from creating two stylesheets
(one fore header and secodn for body) and place them one after another? Maybe I miss some
esential thing about views :)

> Views allow contracts to be mised and matched as you need them. Whereas
> the old skinning system only allows you to use a fixed set of
> stylesheets. Contracts in views provide "nuggets" of information that
> can be included in any page. In short views are much more configurable
> than the old skinnning system.
>
> Remember that, at present, your voice pipelines do not show any visual
> content? Well we could modify your stylesheets so that they can be used
> alongside our existing skinning system. However, since skins are
> probably going to be deprecated in 0.8 this would be a waste of effort.
>
> Besides, it's just easier in views ;-)

Ok, someday maybe I'll make sometihung more difficult and will see that :)