forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "HANAX" <hanax_forr...@centrum.sk>
Subject RE: Re: voice plugin
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:42:36 GMT
Ok, I missed "further reading" section, there are the informations I needed :) Thanx.

PÔVODNÁ SPRÁVA
Od: "Ross Gardler" <rgardler@apache.org>
Pre: dev@forrest.apache.org
Predmet: Re: voice plugin
Dátum/Čas: 20. 9. 2005 22:47:35

> HANAX wrote:

> >>What you need to do is create new contract that adds stuff to the head
> >>section of the page. An example of such a contract is at [1]. This
> >>simply adds some info to the head section. This contract is used in the
> >>view defined in voice.fv (i.e. the view for your plugin).
> >

> > Sorry, but I lost at earlier point. I understand that these file are somehow important
in process, but I don't know the basics. I try to explain with my case:

> Did you read the threads I pointed you to earlier in this thread?
>
> > 1. I have my voice plugin with latest codes from SVN
> > 2. I have my site, which I seeded when I started in Forrest.
> > 3. When I "forrest run" it it shows now look and works OK
>
> OK
>
> > Now questions:
> > 1. What are the primary changes that makes site look diferent? I don't mean files,
i mean what is the idea.

> This is what the threads I linked to earlier are intended to explain, in
> particular see the threads linked in
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112655997316210&w=2
>
> Also see the diffs linked to in
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112662089521916&w=2. These
> diffs are how we enabled views in the voice plugin.
>
> Also see the docs at
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-install.html
> (although be aware that these have not been kept up to date with the
> view implementation, they are, however, still useful)
>
> Don't miss the "further reading" section at the end.
>
> > 2. If there are views, where is the code that tells "use views to render site"?
>
> Hopefully the above docs will explain. The key componnents are the two
> plugins that are enabled in the process.
>
> > 3. If I write my own contract, where to place it? How it is involved in process?

> They go in the "templates" directory in the root of your plugin (see the
> Resume plugin for examples).
>
> To enable it, as I said above, you simply defiine it in your view
> definiiton file, which in your case if voice.fv - you can see it in the
> SVN commits linked to in one of the messages above.
>
> > Generally, I miss informations about upper level ideas about structure of view,
its components and relations to other thing. I know that they are internal plugins but maybe

> that is the problem, because now I still think in "output plugin way" and miss the keypoint
diferences.

> This is all addressed in the views terminology thread in the first link
> above.
>
> > I still think there is a simple manual which explaint "what the heck views are"
:) I've already read mailinglist archive but still no idea, no light :) The main problem for

> me are examples, please, give me some examples of simple sites there are rendered using
views and points how that views are used there... I'm sorry byt really I'm no so smart