forrest-dev mailing list archives

From addi <a...@rocktreesky.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Split cocoon from forrest
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:41:02 GMT
On Tuesday September 13 2005 8:53 pm, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the update try experience made me think why are we not splitting cocoon
> apart from forrest.
>
> I mean you would need them both to make forrest running. That would
> overcome the whole procedure. We can set certain revision numbers of
> cocoon-2.2 till it is not released. Kind of we having in lenya.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hm, well, coming from a user perspective I think that is a big step.  The more pieces someone
has to track down and check off, the less likely they are to experiment.  Generally if I am
looking for a solution and I come across one that has a list of things I need, I will keep
looking and see if I can find one that doesn't have as many pieces, especially if I am looking
at deadlines.  Not only is there the tracking down and installing but what if a prerequiste
doesn't install right?  Even if it is my mistake with a typo or something, it stalls the whole
thing.  The more pieces, the more points of potential issues.

I know that currently Forrest is in dev and rough and you need to sort of know something to
use it really so installing cocoon is no big deal to most us, but I guess the question is
what is the long-term goal in terms low-barrier entry for an average puter user?  I don't
mean that as a rhetorical question either, because if the idea is that it will mainly be used
by computer proficient people rather than "just someone who would like a cool app to make
a web site", then that really sort weighs in here in my opinion.

Cocoon is not geared toward the average puter user  They have a lot of documentation (which
is great) but in their install instructions it says things like "Your mileage may vary, but
you know how to setup environments, right?" while Forrest strongly promotes on the front page:
" Forrest is designed with the new user in mind. Much effort has gone into making the process
of generating a new site easy and simple."

So anyway I am -1 on the idea but I am also honestly curious about the community's concept
of the future target user of Forrest.  And if I'm off the mark or misunderstanding the intent,
please let me know.

Addi