forrest-dev mailing list archives

From addi <a...@rocktreesky.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon US 2005 Documentathon (was Re: [FT] 2005-09-06 Summary)
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:26:43 GMT
On Sunday September 11 2005 4:03 am, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Time to move this to it's own thread with a distracting title (or
> we'll get too many people interested in trying that ale :-)
Yeah, I thought right after I sent my last one that I shoulda changed the
subject first...

> addi wrote:
> >>
> >> I think we are getting a little distracted from the real issues here:
> >> DO you brew good beer of don't you? And will you bring some to SD?
> >
> > Yes, back to the point, I do brew good beer, assuming that you like good,
> > hearty ales of the IPA, bitter, stout variety and/or european wheat ales
> > (I'm not a big fan of American Wheats).
>
> My only frame of reference really are German beers, but I'm curious
Well most German beers are lagers and while I like them (especially a good
Marzen) I am not into brewing them as they have more complicated needs.  As
for wheat beer, I'm talking weissbier/hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner is
considered a classic standard).  I love dunkel weizen and wiezenbock but
haven't gotten around to brewing them myself yet.

> > since I don't think a
> > pressurized keg of beer is likely to go over well with the airlines. :)
>
> Yes, I was wondering about that. Given the current state of things you
> might end up getting free accommodation for a long time ;-)
>
> > You know, I find this very tempting.  I would love to really be able to
> > contribute more to the project and a face-to-face sit down would
> > really get a
> > manual off to a good start.
>
> Yes and having people come there just for the purpose of doing that
> would probably keep me from going kayaking instead :-)
>
> > I don't think I can afford to actually go to the conference itself
> > (airfare, hotel AND the conference is a bit steep for me) but I may be
> > able to come out for a few days and do a "Social and Expo Pass" if they
> > offer it.
>
> Conference Fees:
>
> Well, last ApacheCon the Hackathons were scheduled the days before the
> conference so everybody could participate. And even though I'll
> probably have to do my half day tutorial during that time, that would
> still leave us quite some time to get things started.

That is ideal for me since I can come out for a long weekend instead of taking
off most of the week.

> If we found a free meeting place somewhere in SD we could even arrange
> for some open-for-all meetings before or after the conference. In
> Stuttgart the technical college was kind enough to host us, perhaps we
> could find something in SD as well?
>
> Who else is interested in joining this effort or attend a more general
> meeting? Diwaker?
>
> Accommodation:
>
> If it doesn't have to be a hotel, check out
> http://www.hospitalityclub.org/. It's a free hospitality exchange and
> works great for finding you a place to sleep for events like this. I
> just checked, there are 112 hosts in SD at this time, so accommodation
> should not become a major expense. In fact, I'll do that for the days
> that my accommodation is not covered by the conference budget.

Ah now that is cool.  I have signed up.  I think between inexpensive
accomodations and the timing of a long weekend, I can probably do this trip
pretty easily assuming no major things come up.  Besides who can say no to a
few days in SD in December (when it is cold and wet at home)?

- Addi