forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject review of our TR document
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:25:47 GMT
I updated our draft specification. Would people
please review it and see if it defines the steps
and what you reckon about the names and purposes.
site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html

Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

> >>The TR needs to change then. The only thing that should be in core is
> >>XHTML2

> >>I interpret it like that too. Step 4 is the output plugins stage, i.e.
> >>transformation to the final rendering language.
> >>
> >>This step is misleading in the TR because it is called "viewing" it has
> >>nothing to do with viewing (that is step 3). Perhaps we should change
> >>the title of this stage to "Translation".
> >
> >Today while answering this email and reading that TR doc,
> >i had the idea to review the name of each Step to make
> >it very clear.
> >
> >I could not decide on a name for Step 4. The closest
> >choice was "Windower" ... creating a window on the
> >whole thing* through which gain the view. The "view"
> >is bigger than the window.
> >
> >* The "thing" is the XML stream, model, structure, whatever
> >we call it.
>
> Windower is good. If we think if the other common use of the term
> "window", i.e. a window on a desktop, it provides the definition of a
> visual organisation of a "thing". The actual look and feel of that
> window is dependant on a subsequent theme. In other words, it is the
> same as what we have here.
>
> >I would like to edit this TR doc, but i am not sure about
> >the file naming or the format.
> >site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2004/WD-forrest10.html
> >Going to copy that to TR/2005/WD-forrest10.html
> >and continue with the raw HTML format with embedded style.
>
> I'm not sure about that.

Content is the important thing, so i stuck with it.

> >Should i delete the 2004 or leave it?
>
> The W3C have a header in their TR's that say "The latest version of this
> TR is available from ....". Perhaps we could follow their model and add
> such a header. The URL would not be dated and we will use the LM to
> ensure it points at the corret document.

We are not publishing this document yet so no matter.
Later.

-David.