forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xhtml2 tonights update & questions
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:54:35 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Tim Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I grasped the TR.  I didn't grasp that the scope of the
> > > current effort was implementing the entire TR.  I thought we were only
> > > focused on the first part -- using XTHML2 as our source.  I just
> > > didn't pick up on that earlier for some reason.
> >
> > We are focussing on the first part, but that also involves
> > all the rest because we need new core pipelines.

My statement needs qualifying. We need to attend to
XHTML2 everywhere at least up to Step 4.

All that we managed to achieve on ForrestTuesday was
to get a basic xhtml2 source file generated, together
with a stylesheet to transform straight to html4 so
that we could see what we were dealing with.
Leaving that aside, we then started to explore Step 1
"Resolving the location of content" and detecting the
source type. That involves views and locationmap,
so we grabbed the code and copied it over. Perhaps we
should not have, but we needed some code to start with.

So i think that we are still focussed on Step 1
and ocassionally peeking to see where else XHTML2
will have effect.

> Technically, these are two separate issues.  I'm cool with it either
> way but I just want to make note about what we really *need* to do vs.
> what we're making a concious choice to do.

Yes, otherwise it is too easy to get carried away.

> In order to use XHTML2
> with views (or for the existing skins for that matter) we need a
> transform (e.g. document2html) and a mod to the *.page pipeline that
> calls that transform instead of the existing **body-*.html pipe (w/
> some other small tweaks here and there).   This new stylesheet and the
> new pipe would still be re-used even in our new concept of views -- so
> it wouldn't be throw-away as far as I can tell.

Let me be sure that we are talking about the same things ...

1) when we detect xhmtl2 as the source, then it is
directly injested.

2) when we detect some other source format then its
input plugin will transform to xhtml2 (e.g. the
Apache document-v* formats). Even html and xhtml1
could be input plugins, though the TR document
has them happening in the core.

3) Step 3 Filtering adds more xhtml2 content to
the overall structure.

Now at what stage does our process transform from
the internal xhtml2 to some presentation format,
for example HTML4. The current TR document shows
that Step 4 is that point.

I am confused by the abovementioned document2html.
Wouldn't we still be dealing with xhtml2 at this stage?
Or are you talking about somewhere at or after Step 4.

> I'm still catching up on Thorsten's long email the other day about
> views, dispatcher, etc so I'm not sure what the implication is quite
> yet, but he's now thinking java for some and jxtemplates for the
> structurer.  So, views is also somewhat of a moving target.  That
> being the case, it's probably important that we explicitly recognize
> that this will be the location for future view development from now on
> vs. view/viewHelper.

That is very important.

> If we *want* to take it all on now, that's fine, I just didn't "get"
> that for some reason.

I see that all aspects are entwined and it is hard
to know where to start and what to do next. I wonder
if we could do another collaborative work day soon.
and take on the whole job.

-David